Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A little more respect for Justin Bieber

While I don't like the craze and mania that Justin Bieber is causing, I was slightly encouraged when I read this article.

In the article (which quotes an interview), Justin Bieber gives his views on hot issues:

1) abortion kills a baby. Wow. I think this 16-year-old has more guts and sense on this issue than most politicians! The article points out that the upcoming generation is becoming more and more pro-life. Because of technological advances, ultrasound images, etc, it is becoming harder and harder for the youth of today to believe the lies the abortion industry tells them--that an unborn baby isn't a baby (when an ultrasound clearly shows that the "little one" is alive, beautiful and human).

Before this post turns into a debate, let me be clear about one thing: I am against abortion because it ends the life of a beautiful, innocence, precious human being--abortion not only ends the life of the baby, but does so in the most cruel and violent manner imaginable. Abortion is directly prejudiced against the unborn (simply because they exist), the disabled, the poor, minority groups, and all women (pregnant women, and unborn women in countries like China where gendercide is horribly affecting the gender proportion).

Back to Justin Bieber.

2) waiting for sex. While he doesn't seem to advocate waiting until marriage to have sex, it is encouraging that Justin Bieber believes that sex is special, and should not be wasted on every single person that crosses your path.

For a very long while, I was under the impression that purity, beauty and sense were lost in modern culture--perhaps these revelations by Justin Bieber prove that the youth of today are learning to think outside their own selfish desires and think about the real consequences of their actions.

Hopefully Justin Bieber's words will have an impact on the youth of today, and encourage them to make wise decisions.

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. OK, Laura. You know how I feel about the Bieb. I'm not sure if his moral position on a few social issues makes up for his AWFUL AWFUL songs. In this case, aesthetics may trump ethics (at least for me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, while reading the interview, I feel like he's just giving his fans what they want to hear. I won't go into a Pro-Life debate, because we differ on those views, but Bieber didn't appear very convincing to me. Also, his stance on politics is laughable. Was the question mark a typo?

    Here's the excerpt.

    "He isn't sure what political party he'd support if he was old enough to vote.
    "I'm not sure about the parties," Bieber says. "But whatever they have in Korea, that's bad." He does have a solid opinion on abortion.
    "I really don't believe in abortion," Bieber says. "It's like killing a baby?"
    How about in cases of rape?
    "Um. Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dr. Macek--Hold on there, I didn't say that his stance on some moral issues improved his music :) All I know is, while I like the fact that he says abortion kills a human being, I will never EVER be caught listening to his music :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Becky--The point is not how strong (or not so strong) Justin Bieber's comments were concerning abortion, but the very fact that he thinks abortion is wrong because it kills a human being.

    I would have to disagree that he said what his fans want to hear--if I may politely point out, you yourself (whether or not you like Justin Bieber) are not pleased with his viewpoint. Saying that abortion is wrong takes guts--and many public figures refrain from saying just what Bieber said because of the fact that the public (and the law, for that matter) disagree with that statement.

    About the question mark, I honestly don't know--but it is a good point: was Justin Bieber trying to soften what he was saying to avoid criticism?

    In my opinion, no matter what your stance on abortion, Justin Bieber deserves a little more respect for saying what he truly believes--something that many adults and politicians are too afraid to do.

    ReplyDelete